Become a Volunteer Adaptive Recreation Event Specialist
Volunteer Key responsibilities:
- Set up/move adaptive equipment including but not limited to bikes, boats, fishing gear, ski and snowboard equipment, etc.
- Provide a low risk and fun environment in which adaptive athletes can use said equipment by spotting and assisting athletes and managing risks.
- Prepare and clean up events including food, gear, equipment and promotional booth materials.
- Distribute and collect paperwork from participants.
- Socialize and engage with adaptive athletes, volunteers, staff, the community and partner organizations.
- Share your knowledge and skills about adaptive recreation
- Speaking to people who have disabilities with ”People First language” ie: don’t say “a wheelchair bound person.” Do say “a person who uses a wheelchair.” Don’t say “an autistic person.” Do say “a person who has autism.”
- Helping with transfers. Communicating with participant about how he/she transfers in and out of a wheelchair and executing this in a respectful way while paying attention to risk management.
- Any specific recreation skills and knowledge will be used during that activity.
- Any knowledge of how to work with people who have disabilities will be used throughout.
We are a small organization making a big impact on people’s lives. You will be part of a community and family that is unique and meaningful. We like to show our appreciation through hosting volunteer thank you dinners and parties, providing letters of recommendation, giving away swag and t-shirts, and HAVING FUN! If there is something you are hoping to gain through your volunteer experience with TAS, please share this with us so we can have a chance at providing it.
Volunteer & Partner Training
We hold several trainings throughout the year to help educate volunteers and partners to learn skills and techniques in working with people with disabilities.
In a short two-hour session, you’ll learn about People First Language, types of disabilities, transfers and other tips and tricks of adaptive sports.
Fill out the form below to take part!
Apply Now to Volunteer with TAS
Please fill out this quick form and program director Cherene Vanian will contact you! Thank you!